The basement project is in full swing even though we are short one blonde. Abby has been a bit under the weather and has been really busy being the VIP…so it has just been Stan and myself.
The plan to renovate the basement started innocently. I thought that it would be a simple project. There was really no other choice because the room was dark, dingy, and scary. I have shed many a tear walking down the carpeted stairs into the pit of carpeted filth. Our bad weather safe zone was not really “safe”…it was frightening. Something had to be done.
I thought, “How hard could it possibly be?” Get in. Get out. Done. No, I am afraid that is not how it went.
Apparently, we love living in a mess and on a prayer…thank you, Bon Jovi, for your musical inspiration…
Now, grab a cup of coffee (iced coffee is pretty delicious), and sit a spell with me, as we take a look at the genesis of the basement transformation…Note: it is not finished yet…but one blonde and a Stan are getting close!
First, we had to get the disgusting carpet out and the dried glue removed…it was so gross…and that is all I want to say about it. To read more about this ordeal, check out my article “Sweet Sorghum Living Short Tales: Thoughts While Scraping Glue” at This is Real Media http://thisisrealmedia.com/2013/05/31/sweet-sorghum-living-short-tales-thoughts-while-scraping-glue/
My plan was to start painting immediately after the last inch of glue was scraped, but that is not what happened. The original basement renovator did not tape the sheetrock joints…and probably did not use or even own a tape measure. So…we had to do a little sheetrock repair. Then we had to do a little “drylocking” on the concrete blocks…
Carpet gone from the stars, glue removed from the floor, and sheetrock repaired
Stan showing off his mad sheetrocking skills…notice the wall art…it was serving as inspiration…and hope….
While we were waiting for the sheetrock mud and drylock paint to dry, we started priming and painting the tribute to Roll Tide doors and trim. I have never encountered such…but we persevered…and the crimson became Ultra White (Behr–Home Depot).
We replaced ceiling tiles and the lights. I am so glad that Stan replaced the original two light kits with four light ones. Good call, Stan!
My goodness! I must be getting back to my basement. There is still work left to be done. Thanks so much for sitting a spell with me, and be sure to join me next time for all the details about wall colors, floor color, how we hid the plumbing, and much more.
Also, check out my latest article at This Is Real Media, “Sweet Sorghum Living Short Tales: How to Eat and Paint an Elephant”…guaranteed to make you smile…and it has a few tips about choosing paint sheen http://thisisrealmedia.com/2013/06/07/sweet-sorghum-living-short-tales-how-to-eat-and-paint-an-elephant/
Be sure to “Like” Sweet Sorghum Living and Lolly Molly Art on Facebook to keep up with the latest randomness and blog information! www.facebook.com/lollymollyart
For sneak peeks and cute photos of our precious dogs, follow us on Instagram at http://instagram.com/thelollymolly
Big Hugs xx,